The office of deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of sympathy, witness, and service after the example of Jesus Christ. We would like to share with you our journey and reflect on our many accomplishments.
We are a group of people of great spiritual character and sincere compassion that minister to those in need, to the sick, to the friendless both within and beyond our community of faith.
We continue to send correspondence in the form of cards and notes to those who are ill, hospitalized, or a note of cheer. Email prayer chain (firstname.lastname@example.org) is managed by Pam Huddy and sent out weekly. Patti Ollendyke updates our care partners list which consists of people who are unable to attend church, recuperating at home, need a friendly visit, or perhaps needs a helping hand at home. This year we were blessed to go above and beyond the scope of our commitment as deacons and help not only our congregation, but for our neighborhoods and friends too.
Listed below are the many acts of kindness performed in 2017:
- Thanks to the generosity of our congregation, we were able to supply Comfort Kits for Kids to Moses Taylor Pediatrics, Geisinger CMC (Ronald McDonald House).
- April 10 Deacons set up information table and brochures for several area agencies for anyone in need of information. The display is available in hallway to the gym.
- April 21 st prepared baked goods for the missionaries visit.
- April 17 Student goodie boxes were packed and mailed.
- May 21 Hosted the Mexican Consulate
- May 28 th worked with Circle of Caring by helping prepare a meal at Ronald McDonald’s house and helped with Birthday Boxes for those less unfortunate children.
- June 11 th Clean up at McCauley House, and helping serve meal at St Francis Kitchen.
- June 4 th Parents Night Out. A meet and greet for younger families with children to get to know each other arranged by Alyssa Wintermute.
- Christmas in July Prison Project.
- Assisted with Ushering at memorial services.
- Assisted with set up for Junk & Jewels
- Organized and Collected Angel Tree Gifts—We distributed 94 gifts.
- Assisted in collecting for Mitten Tree
- Dec 17 th , Thanks to the organized efforts of Beth Bresser and Patty Ollendyke we were able to pack and distribute 46 food boxes for families within our congregation and EOTC.
- Distribution of Christmas Poinsettias to our Care Partners
Activities for 2018 include:
- Hosting fellowship hour a few times throughout the year.
- Deliver Easter cards & flowers to members who are home-bound or sick.
- Send care packages to college students.
- Assist in hosting Mexican Consulate
- Christmas in July – collecting items to donate to the county prison through Project Re-Entry.
- Assist in Junk & Jewels
- Angel Tree & Mitten Tree
- Packing Food baskets for those in need.
- Assisting with other committees within the church when needed.