Covenant’s collection of nineteen stained glass windows includes the work of renowned artists Louis Comfort Tiffany, John La Farge, Henry Lee Willet, and Nicola D’Ascenzo.
During the last century, the beauty and inspirational effect of the cathedral that houses Covenant Presbyterian Church has been enhanced by the addition of stained glass windows. It took sixty years to complete the stained glass windows around the nave as a panorama of the earthly life of Jesus.
The life of Jesus windows generally followed realistic renditions of figures in the Renaissance manner. However, the D’Ascenzo transept window returned to a 13th century use of medallion style, known not only for beauty of coloring and decorative effect, but also as a medium of religious instruction.
Seeing these differences in style presents an opportunity to observe the changes in content, technique and imagery in the art of stained glass, as well as an opportunity to compare windows of 1908 with windows of 1968, of Tiffany in 1910 with D’Ascenzo in 1929. Most importantly, it allows visitors to see how the designs successfully combine ancient symbolism with more modern imagery to portray, in an inspiring way, some of the outstanding characters and incidents of the Bible.
See the Stained Glass at Covenant Church in the video below.